The Toledo Museum of Art
is an internationally known art museum located in the Old West End neighborhood of Toledo, Ohio, United States. The museum was founded by Toledo glassmaker Edward Libbey in 1901, and moved to its present location, a Greek revival building designed by Edward B. Green and Harry W. Wachter, in 1912. The building was expanded twice in the 1920s and 1930s.
The museum contains major collections of glass art and of 19th and 20th century European and American Art, as well as small but distinguished Renaissance, Greek and Roman, and Japanese collections. Notable individual works include Peter Paul Rubens
's The Crowning of Saint Catherine, significant minor works by Rembrandt
and El Greco
and modern works by Willem de Kooning
, Henry Moore, and Sol LeWitt.
A concert hall within the east wing, the Peristyle, is built in a classical style to match the museum's exterior. The hall is the principal concert space for the Toledo Symphony Orchestra. A sculpture garden, containing primarily postwar works (earlier sculptures are on display in the interior) was added in 2001, and runs in a narrow band along the museum's Monroe Street facade.
A Center for the Visual Arts, designed by Frank Gehry, was added in the 1990s; the Center includes the museum's library as well as studio, office, and classroom space for the art department of the University of Toledo. In 2000, architect Kazuyo Sejima was chosen to design a new building, scheduled to open in early 2006, to house the museum's glass collection; the commision was her first in the United States.