Claude Monet Paintings in Museums and Galleries Worldwide
Minneapolis Institute of Arts - Minnesota, USA
The Minneapolis Institute of Arts is an art museum located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Minneapolis Institute of Arts features a comprehensive collection of fine arts including paintings, photographs, sculpture, furniture, metalwork, ceramics, and glass. There are over 100,000 pieces in its permanent collection that spans 4000 years and covers nearly 8 acres (32,000 m²) The largest item in the collection is the Purcell-Cutts house, one of the most significant examples of Prairie School of architecture in the country. The Minneapolis Institute of Arts restored the house at its original address and opened it to the public in 1990. In order to promote greater interest in the various departments, the museum has created “Curatorial Councils” that schedules lectures, symposia, and travel for members and are aligned with seven curatorial areas inside the museum.
Along with the permanent collection, the Institute of Arts features a regular series of exhibitions that bring in traveling collections from other museums for display. Local business partners fund many of these exhibitions and some feature the artists themselves leading public tours through the exhibition.
Growing out of a perceived lack of fine arts in the Minneapolis the first meeting of what became the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts in 1883. This group, made up of business and professional leaders of the time, organized art exhibits throughout the decade. In 1889, now known as The Minneapolis Institute of Arts, they moved into its first permanent space inside the newly built Minneapolis Public Library. The museum building, designed by the firm of McKim, Mead and White, opened its doors in 1915. Built on land donated by the Morrison family formerly occupied by their Villa Rosa mansion, the museum came to be recognized as one of the finest example of the Beaux-Arts style of architecture in Minnesota. The building was originally meant to be the first of several sections but only this front piece was ultimately built.