The Frick Collection
is an art museum located on Fifth Avenue and 70th street, facing Central Park in Manhattan, New York City. It is housed in the former residence of steel magnate Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919), which was designed by Thomas Hastings and constructed in 1913-1914.
The Frick is one of the preeminent small art museums in the United States, with a very high-quality collection of old master paintings housed in 16 galleries within the former mansion. The collection features some of the best-known paintings by major European artists, as well as works of sculpture, furniture, porcelain, enamel, and carpets.
Included in the collection are Jean-Honoré Fragonard
's masterpiece, "The Progress of Love", three paintings by Johannes Vermeer
including "Mistress and Maid
", and Piero della Francesca's "St. John the Evangelist". Other featured artists include François Boucher
, John Constable
, Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot
, Aelbert Cuyp
, Thomas Gainsborough
, El Greco
, Francisco Goya, Frans Hals
, Hans Holbein the Younger
, Jacob van Ruisdael, Titian
, J. M. W. Turner, Anthony van Dyck, and James McNeill Whistler.
Since Frick's death, the collection has slightly expanded, with a third of its art works acquired since 1919. The Frick also oversees the Frick Art Reference Library.